Friday, November 7, 2008

How do you respond to that?

While driving to pick John up from school, Adam asks, "Why is my name dumb?" Just as any Mother would I simply stated, "Your name's not dumb, honey." Adam argued, "Yes it is." So, I had to ask, "Why would you say your name is dumb?" Adam responded, "Because my name is 'A-Dumb'." At this point I was trying not to laugh, as it was obvious he was very upset. I tried to relieve his anxiety with soothing, motherly words to which his only response was, "Why did you name me Dumb?"

This is not something Bryan or I thought of when naming our precious little Adam. We have always given careful consideration to the names of our children, as we did not want them to be teased or made fun of in school. Who would have thought Adam would have found something wrong with his own name?!

1 comment:

Smyth Family said...

That is so funny! I wonder if my Adam will ever think of that. That is definately not something we thought of when we used the name either.